Oh My GHAA!

The Student News Site of Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts Full Day

Oh My GHAA!

Oh My GHAA!

Afternoon Tea with Ms. Hart

Ms. Hart

Why did you decide to go into education, and specifically the admin track?

I didn’t actually choose education, I was really more into the theater side of it. Then I became a teaching artist, and that is when I started to have a love for education. From there I was part of an organization that was an arts education collaborative that brought the arts into high schools in hartford and I got to work with the arts community to make that happen. Then, I wanted to be in a building, and be a part of the actual work that was happening.

Why the Arts Academy?

Art was always what kept me going, even when I was a kid, and all through highschool. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and I remember my mom saying, “I don’t care what you go for, but you’re going.”. I said fine, and I decided to go for fine arts. I continued to study and fall more and more in love with the arts.

What is one embarrassing story you have from working here?

I am not very educated, nor do I care much about sports, and so when we had graduation at the yard goats stadium and we had to stage it, I didn’t necessarily know names of certain areas of the field and they kept saying that the performances were going to be at the dugout, and I was like, how are we going to get them to go out into the middle of the field and then come back, it’s gonna take so much time, how are we gonna do those wires, and then finally, they were like, are you talking about the pitchers mound? Then I learned what the dugout was, and so now I know!