Oh My GHAA!

The Student News Site of Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts Full Day

Oh My GHAA!

Oh My GHAA!

Personal Essay: After the Park

A personal essay about the writer’s ride to school.
Personal Essay: After the Park

As soon as the time hits 7:10, I am running down the steps. School starts at 7:35 a.m. We have… minutes to get to school. My book bag is not closed all the way, and my jacket isn’t even fully on, but I rush to meet my dad, who is waiting outside in the car for me. When I get in the car, nothing is spoken between us as the Hot 93.7 station plays Controlla by Drake. The radio hosts always do their typical gossip session talking about the Kardshians or the new rapper out of New York. My dad rushes off as soon as I close the door, but time moves in slow motion as I watch the people on the streets limping, their backs hunched over, and stumbling like they are ill. They are dressed in dirty clothes, emerging out of tents, and they have dirt all over their faces along with scars. I can’t help but feel a sudden wave of emotion looking at the people. “Vannesa…Hello Vannesa?” I see my dad’s hand waving in front of my face.

While at the 3rd red light, we are passing a park we call “Bum Park.” Since it is where all the drug addicts & homeless people hang out, If it has another name, I don´t know it -. The people who mingle there always cross in front of traffic, oblivious to traffic, trying to find the next new drug. I remember one day when a guy who was mentally unstable banged on my dad’s car windows, shouting desperately, “Wassup man, you got the crystals,” and my dad got so aggravated that he yelled, “Stop doing drugs, dumbass, get a life.” I understand why he said that; he was aggravated and irritated, but all I can think about is how it’s not his fault; he has a life; he just needs to get a second chance.

I feel helpless. The heart-dropping feeling of being helpless is a feeling I don’t want to experience, but something I want to avoid. Then the light flickers green and the jolt of the car brings me back from thought of that day. All I’ve been doing is  contemplating ideas to try and fix a worldwide problem is probably a difficult task, but maybe if I try and people get off drugs giving them another solution to their problems, I will be able to stop the pain and suffering of families. Being a good doctor could be a way for me to help people get off drugs and do something for them replacing a for them to get more drugs I would be a way for them reach out and ask for help they aren’t getting anywhere else instead of just giving them more drugs to keep them calm as “normal” people. Being “Normal” means meeting the standards set by society, like keeping your head down, going straight to do what people say, physically looking like what society deems as perfect, and mentally thinking how a mass majority of others think being perfect. In reality, nobody’s perfect; everyone comes in their own way whether it be the kind of music you like; the way you style your hair; and how you feel about certain things; and no amount of drugs can damage a person because there is help out in the world. Before I become a doctor, I need to make an impact now, saving kids lives, telling them it’s not good for their health, and asking them, “What are drugs doing for you long term?” and maybe one would listen. 

So, maybe running a little behind in the morning isn’t a problem if it means getting to see and experience the world and help people. Viewing the world on my way to school is motivating to me in ways that I never thought it could be and helped me realize what I wanted to do with my life. Doing little things to make big changes.